- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup diced cooked chicken breast
- 2/3 cup cooked crumbled Italian sausage
- 2/3 cup peeled cooked shrimp
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, celery, and green pepper; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Pour in diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and rice; season with basil, garlic, pepper, hot sauce, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then turn heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is done, about 20 minutes.
- Once the rice has cooked, stir in chicken, sausage, and shrimp. Simmer for a few minutes until heated through. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Chicken and Biscuts
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 (2.8 ounce) can French-fried onions
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetables, chicken, soup, milk, 1 cup cheese and bacon if desired. Pour into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine biscuit mix and milk. Drop the batter by tablespoonfuls onto the chicken mixture.
- Make, uncovered, for 20-22 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Top with the onions and remaining cheese. Bake 3-4 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.